For reasons of protection of privacy no information other than name and name of partner are shown for still-living persons born after 1920 and/or married after 1930!
January 13, 2003:
Added (in the Dutch section): family pictures for the "Haarlem" and "Hoeksche Waard" branches of the family. In the interactive family tree the descendants of Heijleke (de Boer) Grandia have been added as a separate branch. Also, in the main "Geraldo" branch, a number of descendants of Govert Grandia and Elizabeth Buijserd from Beesd.
January 7, 2003:
The site is back up after an absence of some months. We had to move off our previous server and find a new home. A considerable amount of new material has been added, but so far mostly on the Dutch pages. I will try to update the English-language section ASAP!
Family research in recent months has been focused mostly on Rotterdam. A number of Rotterdam branches of the family have been explored up to the beginning of WWII.
June 19, 2002:
It has been three months since the website was last updated and a lot has happened in the meantime. New data has come in from a number of sources. Summing up briefly:
- A branch of the family derived from Gosuinus Matheus Grandia, born in Driel on March 31, 1890. This information was provided by Anja Grandia en Hans Eijkemans.
- A number of corrections and additions regarding the Haarlem branch of the family, provided by Ank van der Glas-Grandia and Joop van der Glas.
- More additions and corrections from Louise Henriette Grandia, daughter of Gosuinus Daniel Grandia (May 17, 1914 - Ede, Oktober 25, 2000).
- Added, at his own request: Victor Derek Grandia, son of Adriaan Willem. His elder brothers were already listed, he himself wasn't.
- Corrections and additions provided by mr. Piet Grandia, of Ridderkerk (he worked with Arie Ruijmgaart during the '90s). The Rotterdam City Archive put me on his trail.
- Monique Graafland from Canada provided some information on a number of descendants of Gosewinus Marius Grandia and Maaike van Ballegooijen from Kerkwijk. Their son Eelco (b. Kerkwijk, July 5, 1914) emigrated to Canada anddied earlier this year in Vancouver.
- A number of Grandia's from Zaltbommel (from the years 1882-1917) were added. I recently visited the Bommelerwaard Regional Archive and checked the Registry Office data.
- At the Central Bureau for Genealogy I re-checked the records for a number of places in Hoekse Waard and IJsselmonde, which turned up some more family members.
- Some more illustrations were added, and a page was included on the two Lammert Jillisz. Grandia's from 's-Gravendeel.
March 22, 2002:
- Added or refined data from "DTB" (Doop-, Trouw- en Begrafenis- = Baptismal, Marriage- and Burial-records) for Driel, Marriages 1772-1811, from the records of the Reformed Church, regarding the marriages of
- Gerrit Grandia and Judig de Boer (June 26th, 1785)
- Arien Grandia Gerritsz. and Metje van Bockel (July 24th, 1791)
- Goosse[n] Grandia and Elisabeth van Hekesen (Oct. 30th, 1794)
- Johannis van den Anker and Aartje Grandia (Aug. 19th, 1798)
- Arie[n] Grandia and Anna Krijgers (Nov. 30th, 1805), and
- Adrianus de Boer and Maria Grandia (March 10th, 1811)
- In addition, from the baptismal records for 1772-1875 of the "Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Gemeente" in [Kerk]driel the exact birth-dates of already-known children from these marriages were determined, and a number of as-yet unknown children were added.
March 17, 2002:
- Added: the "The Hague"-branch of the family: the children (or, at least, two of the children) of Gerrit Grandia and Judig de Boer from Driel, and their descendants. The son, Jielis (1789 - December 6th, 1873), moved from Driel to 's-Gravenhage (usually called "den Haag" (The Hague) by the Dutch) and worked there as a coachman at first, later changing his trade to that of barman and liquor seller. His son Gerrit Pieter married the daughter of the bookseller Cornelis van Doorn and became his father-in-law's business partner. Jielis' sister Maaike (born Sept. 3rd, 1786 in Driel) also moved to the Hague and died there on February 1st, 1854.
March 11, 2002:
- Added some minor corrections based on the collection "Grandia family personal ads up to 1970" from the Central Bureau for Genealogy in the Hague.
- Correction: Ine Wolf Machoel was mistakenly listed as second wife of Ruth Grandia (April 11, 1870 - January 17, 1954). She was his daughter-in-law!
- Added: Hendrik Grandia (born Charlois (Rotterdam-South), Nov. 24, 1882) and his wives Jannigje Gielen and Wouterina Bezemer and their children.
- Also added: the first Grandia for the year 2002: Max Justin, son of Robert Grandia and Noelle Mommersteeg.
February 19, 2002:
Civil records for the villages of Brakel and Driel 1811-1892 updated in the database and on the website.